Sunday, October 10, 2010

I have register at my first quilt making class

Well, it's not exactly quilt making, the tittle is, well I don't remember exactly, but basically it's for me to learn how to do quilt sandwiching (yes, for those who don't know anything about quilt making that's what it's called, it's when you add your different layers together). I am able to learn the rest on my own, but I have made several attempts with that part and was very not successful. I should maybe have shown you, but I was so frustrated that I undid the sandwich every time.  I did read a lot of theory, some of them explain very well what you are supposed to do, but when it comes to practice, well, let's just say that I need a class.

http://store.annamariahorner.com/seamstome.html

You might be wondering why I am talking to you about a class, well it just means that I am going to have to make a quilt - not a big one, but big enough to make the sandwiching part a challenge. And of course, I am going to keep you up to date on the quilt making.

I have a month to make the quilt and I am going to do a 3x4  9 inch squares, and I started the first one last night, after debating with myself what I was going to do, and I decided that I was going to do something inspired by playing along quilt  from the book seams to me by Anna Maria Horner. For the quilt I am making, you can find the instructions here


my first wonky log cabin block
Of course since it's going to be a small quilt it's not going to look like that exactly, well, not really, since I already made the first modification with the first block. I decided to go with wonky log cabin design instead of using regular log cabin they instruct you to use, and of course my blocks are going to be smaller. I found the instruction of the wonky log cabin design  on this blog. It make amazing quilts just using that technique, who knows that's maybe how my quilt will end up. If you decide to try the tutorial by yourself, you need to be careful, with the last step, she uses strips that are larger than 1 1/2 inches, so I got it wrong the first time (because of course I didn't read it all the way through), and I had to start over. And do you like the result? I do, and since it's my first log cabin (well almost, since I started a project a zillion years ago that is still at my mother's house and of course it's not finish, I think I didn't get past the first block on that project). I will keep you posted on the next blocks (if I like the results of course).
Happy Thanksgiving weekend for those who live in Canada.


Version Française

No comments:

Post a Comment