Monday, November 15, 2010

Quilt class

Wonky playing along quilt
Left back Right top
Finally the moment came for my quilting class on Saturday. I tried to finish my quilt but was not able to do it by Saturday, but don't worry, I did finish it and it will be the subject of my next post, but you won't have to wait too long since I will write it after I finish this one.

The course is in two part, backing and then the fun part sandwiching. So the part we did last Saturday was not necessarily the one I was looking forward to the most.

I did learn a few tricks for the backing, how to do it the correct way, and of course, that's not what I did on the small quilt ( It was so small, I didn't event need to do anything if I had wanted to since it could find in the width of the fabric), calculating the yardage you need for the back, and how to choose your batting (cotton seemed to be the choice of preference for the instructor). I also discovered that you could  use flannel for the backing, I had never thought of that since my mom, always uses cotton fabric on the back.. The instructor also taught us a few tricks about binding the quilt, and to me she gave me a few tips on how to sew the strips more efficiently. I was hoping to have women my age for the course, but ended up with older women, so no quilting mama friend in the neighborhood yet, but since I started this new passion in September, I still have hope ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment